Fields of activity
The research activities of the center cover a wide range of areas. A special focus is placed on the inventorisation and preservation, the improvement of accessibility, as well as on scientific studies and the edition of selected objects.
- Scientific research and indexing of the holdings of the special collections at the Graz University Library and presentation of the results in an appropriate form
- Indexing of unknown or inaccessible collections from the area of Southern and Eastern Europe
- Cataloguing of individual manuscripts and manuscript collections which, for a variety of reasons, have remained largely unnoticed to date
- Cataloguing of palimpsests and manuscript fragments
- Conservation care and, if necessary, restoration of manuscripts and old prints
- Improving accessibility (especially through digitization)
- Increased involvement in the digital humanities, currently especially through text encoding (XML)
- Training of qualified junior staff and constant further training of the permanent staff
- Improving the international connections of the Department of Special Collections
- Development and acquisition of, as well as participation in, national and international projects
- Implementation of and participation in scientific congresses, symposia, conferences, summer schools, and other events.
- Provision of expert assessments at home and abroad