The 1st of September 2017 marks the start of a mobile digitization project within the framework of the »Erasmus+« programme [2017-1-BG-01-KA202-036350]. The project is scheduled for two years. The VESTIGIA manuscript research centre is set to play a key role in the project due to its longstanding expertise in the field – notably through the »Traveller TCCS 4232« (© Manfred Mayer).
The »MobiDig« project is strictly speaking not dedicated to academic research, but is rather intended for staff of any libraries or archieves who are looking to digitize objects from their collection. The project aims to provide a perspective on how to go about accomplishing this task even when faced with problems such as limited financial funds and/or remote location.
»MobiDig« as an educational endeavour answers questions such as:
- What do I need for digitization? Which cost-effective means are there?
- How does it work and what do I have to take into account?
- What do I do with the prictures that are being produced?
Overall, seven key areas will be covered: general procedures – selection of objects – which equipment is worth considering? – IT/software issues – digitization in smaller collections – practicing and consolidating digitization competences – copyright issues.
Within this scope, »MobiDig« develops tools (with an emphasis on keeping them as simple as possible):
- an easy to use handbook covering these topics
- a learning platform corresponding to the chapters of the handbook
- a number of YouTube videos visualizing certain contents
This material will be provided in the languages of all participating partners: Bulgarian, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese and English.
The project partners are:
- the regional library »Petko Rachev Slaveikov«, Veliko Tarnovo, BG
- the »National High School of Polygraphy and Photography«, Sofia, BG
- the »Student Art Society (SCAS)«, Sofia, BG
- »VESTIGIA Manuscript Research Centre«, University of Graz, A
- the foundation »De Domijnen«, Sittard, NL
- the library of the national palace of Mafra, Mafra, P
- the »Fratelli Alinari Istituto di Edizioni Artistiche«, Florenz, I
Project leader: Dr. Rosen Petkov, Sofia, BG
- 5 – 6 Oct 2017: Kick-off meeting in Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
- 8 Nov 2017: E. Renhart, »MobiDig«: a European project on mobile digitisation(Presentation of the project at the symposium »Digital Humanities: Empowering Visibility of Croatian Cultural Heritage«, Nov 6 – 8, Zadar University)
- 5 – 6 Nov 2018: Partner meeting at Graz University, Austria